Saturday, March 13, 2010

Possession 1 - Possessive Adjectives

To express possession, you only need to add the appropriate endings to the word:


Possessive
Adjectives
Endings Example
"ktab"
Translation
My i ktabi My book
Your k ktabk Your book
His o ktabo His book
Her ha ktabha Her book
Our na ktabna Our book
Your kom ktabkom Your book
Their hom ktabhom Their book


For words ending with (a) -generally feminine words- you take away the (a), replace it with (t) and apply the same endings.


Possessive
Adjectives
Endings Example
"mdina"
Translation
My i mdinti My city
Your k mdintk Your city
His o mdinto His city
Her ha mdint-ha Her city
Our na mdintna Our city
Your kom mdintkom Your city
Their hom mdint-hom Their city

*Reminder: The dash (-) is used not to mix up the letters t and h that must be pronounced separately, and not such as a th.

Exceptions

The endings of (my) and (his) can be slightly changed when the word ends with another vowel, other than the (a) of feminine words. These endings become (ya) and (h) instead of (i) and (o). For expample : My brother = khoya خويا ; His brother = khoh خوه.

Fortunately, there are very few exceptions.




No comments:

Post a Comment